A transfer student is defined as someone who enrolls at the university for the first time who has previously attended another regionally-accredited institution. The following requirements must be submitted in order to receive an admission decision.
APPLICATION. Each applicant is required to complete an online application for admission for the desired semester. The application can be found by clicking here.
- Transfer students who have attended other regionally-accredited institutions of higher learning since graduating from high school must submit official college transcripts from ALL regionally-accredited institutions attended.
- Re-admit Transfer (former) students enrolled at another regionally-accredited institution since last enrolled at SUSLA are required to submit official college transcripts from ALL regionally-accredited institutions attended since last enrolled at SUSLA.
- College transcripts are considered official when the original transcript is issued to Southern University @ Shreveport Admissions or Registrar’s Office via mail or approved electronic transmission.
- Students unable to obtain official transcripts due to indebtedness to another institution are not eligible to enroll at SUSLA.
- Students on academic suspension or otherwise not in good standing at the prior institution are not eligible to enroll at SUSLA until the suspension period has elapsed.
- Each student entering the university shall provide satisfactory evidence of immunity to or immunization against vaccine-preventable diseases to include but not be limited to measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus/diphtheria, and meningitis. This policy applies to all students entering the institution for the first time and all students returning after an absence of one semester or more. Under circumstances where the immunization records cannot be readily obtained, or for personal reasons, the student may sign an immunization waiver during the application process. In the event of an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease, students without immunization records will be exclude from the premises until the appropriate disease incubation period has expired or the unimmunized person presents evidence of immunization.
APPLICATION FEE. A non-refundable fee of $20.00 ($30.00 for international students) is required of ALL students to process the application for admission. The application fee is required regardless if applicant ultimately enrolls or not. Application fees can be paid online when submitting the web application, by mail with a cashier’s check or money order, or by credit card by calling the Cashier at 318.670.9305.
PROVISIONAL ADMISSION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
- Provisional admission may be granted to transfer students who are currently enrolled at another institution upon receipt of an official “in progress” transcripts, if the other required documents are received. The updated official transcript must be submitted as soon as grades from the transfer institution are posted. Students granted provisional admissions are not eligible for financial aid until updated transcript is received.
- Students on probation at other Louisiana institutions will be granted probationary admission. To remove probation, the student must achieve at least a 2.0 grade point average during the first semester at Southern University at Shreveport.
ACCEPTANCE OF TRANSFER SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS
- Transfer coursework earned from colleges and universities accredited by the regional accrediting associations are accepted by the University.
- All transfer coursework will be noted on the student’s academic record. Transfer credit will be given for those courses in which a grade of "C" or better is achieved. No credit will be given for grades of "D" or below, or for "remedial or developmental courses".
- Evaluation of transcripts for credit will not be performed prior to the receipt of a completed application, with admission fee, and official transcripts from each regionally-accredited institution attended, and immunization record.
- The Office of Admissions will perform articulation of transfer coursework on official transcripts received at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Transcripts received within 30 days of the start of the semester will be articulated on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Transfer credits accepted by the Office of Admission are subject to final review and determination of the extent to which credit hours will be applied toward a degree by the Division Chair of the College offering the degree/certificate.
- All transfer coursework can be viewed on the student’s Banner Web.
TRANSFER CREDIT APPEAL
Applicants who wish to appeal a transfer credit decision must apply to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs within 30 days after notification of acceptance of transfer credit hours. No transfer credit will be accepted past the established 30-day provisional period.
Priority Application Deadlines. The Office of Admissions strives to process admission applications between 7 to 10 business days after receipt of all required admission documents.
To meet this goal, the following admission application deadlines are in placed to ensure priority processing:
Fall Semester - July 1st
Summer Sessions - April 1st
Spring Semester - November 1st
Records submitted become the property of the University and will not be returned. Falsification of any information when applying for admission may result in the denial of admission or dismissal from the University. The registration of any student whose admission records are incomplete fourteen (14) days after the first day of classes may be automatically canceled with no refund of fees.